Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Original Article by Ashley Okwuosa. You can never own enough mascara. It’s the finishing touch to the perfect masterpiece; our lashes. Without it, we feel practically naked. To really get the best out of your mascara, take a look at the tips below on how you should be using mascara — even if no one’s ever told you these things before.
1. It doesn’t last forever: This might come as a shock to most, but mascara actually does expire. The average life span is about 3-5 months, so after that, get rid of your old mascara. Otherwise, you’re risking bacterial infections, and no one wants that.
2. Keep the wand: We hate to say goodbye to our mascara, but saving the wand is actually something you should do. Wash the wand and use it as a “spoolie” brush to help groom your brows.
3. Take it off: Sometimes we get too tired to wipe our makeup off before we go to bed, but leaving mascara on your lashes overnight does more harm than you know. When the mascara dries overnight, it can cause your lashes to fall off, and a stiff lash can actually scratch your cornea while you’re sleeping.
4. Turn up the volume: We love a voluminous lash, so to get the best out of your mascara, powder your lashes — using baby powder and a cotton swab — before application to for an extra lush look.
5. Moisturize your lashes: It’s easy to forget that our eyelashes are actually tiny hairs, and should be treated as such. Before bed, moisturize your lashes with olive oil or any moisturizer to keep them hydrated. Just be careful to keep anything out of your eye.
6. Not everyday is a waterproof day: Waterproof mascara is ideal for those teary moments, but using it everyday isn’t advisable. Since it can’t easily be removed, the continuos tugging at the lashes can cause them to become weaker and eventually make them fall out.
7. Keep your eyes open: The key to not blinking (and ruining your mascara) during application? Opening your mouth. When your mouth is open wide, it’s a bit harder to blink.
8. Never smudge again: Hate getting mascara stains on your eyelid? Avoid them by placing an old business card or plastic spoon on your eyelid, right above your lashes. Apply your mascara in this position, and any excess product will go onto the business card or spoon, not your eyelid.
9. Seal the deal: Give your mascara the finishing touch by coating your lashes with clear mascara after application. This will help to solidify your lashes and protect the mascara from smudging or running.
10. The perfect mascara: There are so many types of mascaras out there, you have to figure out what works for you and your lashes. Do you need to lengthen? curl? give volume?
Whatever it is you need, there’s a mascara out there waiting for you. If you can’t find it, find a few and make a mascara cocktail!